Christmas Without All The Crap
We love Christmas! But we don’t love the frothing-at-the-mouth consumerism it comes along with… shopping sprees, unwanted gifts, overeating, higher electricity bills and a lot of waste. But how to avoid it? It is possible, and we came up with some ideas below. We wish you a cheerful and un-consumerist Christmas!
- Make something (e.g. home-made cosmetics, upcycled jewelry, cookies, etc.)
- Find an eco-friendly gift from one of the shops in our directory 🙂
- Give an experience, not a thing
- Donate to a charity in your gift recipient’s name
- No gifts at all!
Gift wrapping alternatives
- A pretty piece of fabric, e.g. a dish towel to wrap kitchen-related gifts
- Old newspapers, magazines or maps
- A reusable gift bag
- No wrapping!
Christmas tree alternatives
- Decorate a ladder, or other Christmas tree shaped object in your house
- Make an upcycled Christmas tree out of cans or other trash (if you have lots of time on yours hands… :))
- Decorate a real potted tree, such as a small pine tree or rosemary bush
- Decorate a tree on your balcony or in your garden (if you’re lucky enough to have one!)
- No Christmas tree, just decorate your house (With LED lights and candles, of course)!
If you have other ideas, please share them below!